Friday, June 5, 2009

And she looks so righteous!

We were running around all over the place today! Driving around Muskegon, going thrifting again (They had 99 cent clothes and a pair of boat shoes that I've been searching for for years! I am elated to find them. Also, a couple of vintage dresses, waist cinching belts for both Allye and I, and a Leo Buscaglia book about love, with the very quote next to my senior yearbook picture, in the front cover: "We are each of us angels with only one wing. We can only fly embracing eachother." I don't think there is another statement which I believe with so much of my heart.) and taking her brother to appointments and the grocery store. 

We had moments of Europeanisms today. We sat and drank coffee and sparkling lemonade at an outdoor section of a restaurant. I have been fortunate enough to experience being in Giverney, France sipping expresso on a beautiful sunny day last spring. It was an outdoor cafe, where an wrinkled man stood behind the counter making pizzas, and his daughter served my expresso with the tiniest little spoon. 

All of this has strengthened my belief in the importance of those old, quaint customs of having a bit of tea and a scone in the afternoon, or in my case, sitting down for "foamy coffee" in the mornings with my mom (she loves a lot of milk and uses a stick foamer). For me, they are a chance to take some slow breaths in the middle of the activities of the day. I think about a cookbook I have of the desserts Claude Monet liked best for afternoon tea. Or siestas, or whatever, these are so important for us as people. I really belief that this custom has been ejected from much of American culture. And daily Starbucks runs don't count :-) 

So it is 11:30 p.m and Allye had the idea earlier of going through her closet to make some creative outfits with the stuff she has, and incorporate our FANTASTIC thrift store items like a orange and blue plaid shirt. We have been at it for about three hours, and feel so damn refreshed about ourselves and hopeful for the days ahead. I just encouraged her as she tried belting things at the waist with much success, and different combinations to revive items she hasn't worn in ages.

And I got in the game of course, with vests, dresses, boat shoes, a yellow fannypak, and a necklace that I'm resolved to never take off. I just know my grandma would be so proud.

People are beautiful, like Allye said. And life is beautiful. Staying with her, talking and learning about her, seeing life through her eyes, and skipping around Muskegon with songs on our lips has been very healing. One of the most delightful weeks of my life. I am so thankful to her and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment